Bands in Blue = Previously featured
Monday - November 5th
- Adam Green, Binki Shapiro, Computer Magic @ Le Poisson Rouge - very high anticipation is riling up for the new duets album comprised of collaborators Adam Green (1/2 Moldy Peaches) and Binky Shapiro (1/3 Little Joy). Interestingly, they each were putting words in each other's mouths for their respective breakups during their songwriting process. Debut album comes out in July and early singles sound very promising.
- Archipelago, Saintseneca, Emperor X, Jesse Cooper Levy @ Big Snow - Saintseneca is a nice folk band of lifelong friends from Colombus Ohio. They are on tour with Emperor X aka Chad Matheny's spacey, lo-fi indie folk. Very interesting NPR story on Matheny's marketing ploys of burying cassettes of his early recording and posting GPS coordinates for his fans to find.
- Gary Clark Jr., ZZ Ward @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT) - GCjr has sold out Bowery Ballroom for all 3 scheduled/rescheduled shows. He's added another benefit show on Tuesday at Brooklyn Bowl.
- The Amazing (North American debut), Tom Miller @ Mercury Lounge (Early Show) - The Amazing are a swedish band that are starting to live up to their name. Partisan recently released their most recent album Gentle Stream, which you can give it via the spotify link if you'd like to hear some nice psychedelic indie folk. They are going to be accompanying Tame Impala on their tour which begins wednesday night. This video of their song "Gone" should give you a good idea of what to expect at their live show.
- TV Baby, Fort Lean @ Mercury Lounge (Late Show) - Fort Lean's first local show in quite some time ; they will be playing an EP release party at Glasslands in December and that should do it for them as far as live shows in 2012.
- Deidre & the Dark, Gin Wigmore @ Santos Party House (Early Show) - Deidre and the Dark is the new solo project of Deidre of Savoir Adore
- Shiny Toy Guns, MNDR, Static Summer, Colour Music @ Santos Party House (Late Show)- Taking their name as influenced by Isaac Newton and his relationship to color and sound, Stillwater Oklahoma's psych-folk hardcore band has been heavily praised for their outstanding live show efforts, usually taking form in a theme. Compared to a blend of the polyphonic spree and The Flaming Lips.
- "Fight For Your Right Revisited" (2011) and "Shut Up and Play the Hits" (2012) Screening with full concert sound @ Brooklyn Bowl - To help benefit Hurricane Sandy Relief, Brooklyn Bowl and Oscilloscope Laboratories are teaming up to present a benefit with screenings of Beastie Boys short film Fight For Your Right Revisited and LCD Soundsystem film Shut Up and Play the Hits with "full concert sound." Admission is pay what you like with a suggested $10 donation. Every $5 donated gets you a raffle ticket for prizes and giveaways from Oscilloscope Labs and Brooklyn Bowl. Canned food and household goods will be collected at the show too.
Tuesday - November 6th (Election Night - Rock the Vote)- Gary Clark Jr @ Brooklyn Bowl - Recently announced Benefit for Superstorm Sandy Relief Fund for Staten Island ; $20 minimum donation; For those who couldn't make any of his other SOLD OUT affairs in NY, this will be a great chance to support a great artist and cause.
Wednesday- November 7th- Tame Impala, The Amazing @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (SOLD OUT) - Definitely the best show of the week ; Tame Impala's new album is one of the best of the year ; they return to NY on Saturday for another SOLD OUT show at Webster Hall
- Rocky Erickson, Hounds of Baskerville, Nude Beach @ The Bell House - Other Music signing Nude Beach (Long Island) start up their tour support of Roky Erickson ; Their video for "Some Kinda Love" directed by Tom Scharpling is hilarious and quite clever. The lineup plays again in Hoboken the following night.
- Gary Clark Jr., Kat Edmonson @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
Thursday - November 8th- Cold Specks, Doe Paoro @ Mercury Lounge (Early Show) - Cold Specks is the stage name of London based canadian singer songwriter Al Specks ; for sad music lovers like me, a great debut album of hers came out earlier this year on Arts & Crafts
- The Fresh & Onlys, Quilt @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
- Lost Boy?, Celestial Shore, Breakfast In Fur, Each Other, Leapling @ Shea Stadium - Breakfast In Fur come from New Paltz New York and have been praised by Rollo & Grady and Jenny Eliscu (Sirius XMU/Rolling Stone) ; been featured on a new compilation by Team Love
- Roky Erickson, Nude Beach, Hounds of Baskerville @ Maxwell's
Friday - November 9th
- Brooklyn Vegan Presents "Miami Connection" (1987) @ Sunshine Cinema - how could i not have known about the 80's cult gem Miami Connection until now, best plot line ever ---> the story of fearless synth rock band Dragon Sound as they embark on a crime-
- "Life of Pi" (2012) @ Museum of the Moving Image - Preview screening of the new 3-D Ang Lee adventure film based on the 2001 novel ; Screen writer David Magee will be in person for Q&A
- Lawrence Arabia, Ludwig Persik, Mercies, Eureka Birds @ Pianos - just learned about this dude Ludwig Persik as I saw he's playing with Fort Lean in December ; Really solid start on his EP, which was produced by Jamie Lidell ; already with Billions booking and suggesting fans try and cop his free EP on bandcamp while they can suggests he's someone to look out for.
Saturday - November 10th- Railbird, Cuddle Magic, The Daredevil Christopher Wright, Margaret Glaspy @ The Rock Shop - The Daredevil Christopher Wright comes from the same town as Bon Iver in Eu Claire Wisconsin ; lovely indie folk music ; for fans of Grizzly Bear
- The Young, Radar Eyes, Timmy's Organism @ Cake Shop - This is a rescheduled show from few weeks prior I believe. Austin's The Young (self described as fried rock n roll over EZ) are signed to Matador and play again the following night at Cameo.
- The Whigs, Kuroma @ Glasslands
- Tame Impala, The Amazing (members of Dungen) @ Webster Hall (SOLD OUT)
- Brooklyn Vegan Presents "Miami Connection" (1987) @ Sunshine Cinema
Sunday - November 11th- Mount Moriah, Cat Martino @ Union Pool - North Carolina based alt-americana outfit Mount Moriah is a new signing to Merge ; all the songs on their 2011 release sound very warm and friendly
- Kaki King, Lady Lamb The Beekeeper @ Glasslands - Kaki King is celebrating a new marriage and a new release on tour ; playing again the following Tuesday at LPR
- The Young, Dignan Porch, Eraas @ Cameo Gallery
Found in NY - Companion Spotify Playlist
Found in NY - Archive - Updated Weekly