LAST UPDATED - March 7th
Monday / March 5th
- Bombay Bicycle Club, The Darcys, Lucy Rose @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT) - Lucy Rose, featured vocalist on Bombay Bicycle albums, is finally gearing up her own material and is supposed to be one of this year's big breakout artists. Also, Bombay Bicycle Club put out one of my favorite records from last year. If you're lucky enough to get tix, it's going to be a great show.
- Daytona (from members of Harlem and Wild Yaks), Fenster @ Cake Shop - Daytona is a new side project from the dudes in Harlem. The recently released EP sounds promising. Fenster is quite a nice experimental indie pop duo from Berlin/NY...they released a 7" from popular german label Morr Music and this month they are releasing, their debut, Bones.
- Royal Baths, Slowdance, Habibi, Mike Visser @ Knitting Factory Brooklyn - If you're an indie pop fan, this is where you want to be ; Slowdance is very cute indie french pop ; Habibi is an all girl indie pop band in a similar vein to dum dum girls with a building buzz in NYC....check this promo video feat. one of their songs for 7 Jeans.
- Tennis, Hospitality @ Music Hall of Williamsburg - After not quite catching the interest of Tennis' debut, i'm a lot more fond of the newest effort, Hospitality has also put out a strong debut on Merge.
Tuesday / March 6th
- Julia Holter, Sarah Cahill @ Le Poisson Rouge - Wow/How did i never hear about this LA artist before ...Julia Holter voice is very enchanting. For fans of Julianna Barwick/Kate Bush...NPR music is going to tape this show live for the launch of their new Ipad app.. beautifully layered vocal arrangements....should be interesting to see how it's formed live...for fans of looping pedals. Her New album Ekstasis will be released on Thursday, March 8th on Leaving Records. also playing is exceptional pianist Sarah Cahill. Should be a great night.
- Oneohtrix Point Never, Cubic Zirconia @ Studio of Webster Hall (FREE w/RSVP) - still haven't caught on to the buzz/popularity of Oneohtrix...but this is a free show so maybe worth ... however, tried to RSVP and got a bounce back. hope you have better luck.
- Fanfarlo, Nightlands (Secretly Canadian), Young Man (Frenchkiss) @ Webster Hall
Wednesday / March 7th
- Alyson Greenfield, Lips, Doe Paoro, Fenster, Imagine Dragons @ Pianos - Starting to hear chatter about Doe Paoro as a new artist to be aware of in NY.... If anyone missed Fenster on Monday, this would be a good opportunity to see them
- Levek, Hundred Waters, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Emily Reo, Spirit Tramp @ Shea Stadium - So interested in this guy Levek (David Levesque) ... apparently he's a bus driver from Florida who makes music in his spare time...from what i've heard of his music...i think it's time to quit the dayjob...very african influenced. Surpsised that he's unsigned. Hundred Waters are also a fellow Floridian five piece avant-pop project that may remind you of Dirty Projectors...both bands play again the following night at Pianos.
- Julia Holter @ Other Music (in-store)
- No Age, Pterodactyl, Zulus @ Death By Audio
Thursday / March 8th
- Floating, Levek, Hundred Waters, Illumntr, Conveyor @ Pianos - see notes above regarding FL's Levek/Hundred Waters
- Bombay Bicycle Club, The Darcys, Lucy Rose @ Maxwell's- see notes above regarding Lucy Rose
- Delicate Steve, Janka Nabay, Strange Shapes @ Glasslands - Heard Delicate Steve puts on a great live show. Really digging this band Strange Shapes, their music takes form in different shapes unexpectedly in its instrumentation.
- TRUST, The Doldrums @ Mercury Lounge
Friday / March 9th
- Young The Giant, Grouplove @ Terminal 5 (SOLD OUT)
- RJD2 @ Webster Hall - Growing less fond of his newer material but he's still pretty great and discount tix at this link are only $15.
Saturday / March 10th
- Niki & The Dove (sub pop/Mercury), Charli XCX, Clock Opera, Ghost Beach @ Knitting Factory BK - Totally Awesome pop music night....all good bands worth checking out...feeling this will sell out.
- Django Django, D. Gookin @ Glasslands - Edinburgh's Django Django are one of my favorite new acts of the young year. Really looking fwd to checking them out. They play again Monday at Santos Party House.
- Four Tet, Mike Slott @ Le Poisson Rouge - Going to be a super edgy electronic evening in a great way.
Sunday / March 11th
- Gomez, Hey Rosetta! @ Bowery Ballroom - Hey Rosetta are great live.
- Big Deal (Mute), 2:54, ZAZA, Soft Spo @ Glasslands - Big Deal is a UK duo...really dig their new album.
- Sunrise Fest - All Day Benefit for Japanese Earthquake @ Public Assembly