Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Found in London - Chase and Status

This week my post has been inspired by the fact that some of my friends from across the pond have never heard of some of the biggest and brightest bands in my fair city and I feel that it is my duty to share with you these hidden gems.
Today I'm featuring one of my favourite drum & bass bands, Chase and Status (now signed to Vertigo), who have only released two albums but are one of my favourite live acts ever and have a huge following here in the UK. The duo, Saul Milton and Will Kennard, met at Manchester University in the mid 90s and have been steadily producing and DJ'ing until they released their début album, More than a Lot, on Ram Records in 2008. With fans in high places, Pharrell Williams called them "the most exciting producers in the UK" and Rihanna was quoted saying that they were "the backbone" of her Rated R record.

I saw them when they headlined the MTV Brand New gigs at Koko in Camden recently and let's just say I was not disappointed. Performing many of their tracks from their new album No More Idols, it didn't matter that a lot of it was new material, I was happy to embrace the mosh pit, jumping up and down everytime the MC told me to jump (which was pretty much every 2 seconds)! Let's just say I ended up pretty sweaty and had a shoe thrown at my head...all in good fun of course! 

I can't get over how much I love these guys and I want you to love them too! So check out one of my favourite tracks "Hypest Hype" feat. Tempa T below (which was a difficult choice since they have so many awesome songs - check out End Credits, Blind Faith and Let Me Go also)


For those of you in the U.S. they'll be touring in April, with dates at Coachella and at Music Box in LA on April 23rd...I promise that you will not be disappointed! 

As you know I love giving you guys a little bonus, so here's a track off their debut album which is something a little bit different - check out "Eastern Promises" below.



No comments:

Post a Comment