Companion Spotify Playlist
Found in NY - 4/16 - 4/22
Bands on playlist are in RED
Monday / April 16th
- Neon Trees, Devin, APT @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- Kraftwerk (The Mix) @ MoMa (Retrospective 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8)
- Mayer Hawthorne and the County, The Stepkids @ Webster Hall
Tuesday / April 17th
- Can (An Evening of Unreleased Music and Discussion) @ Le Poisson Rouge
- Neon Trees, Tiny Victories, APT @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- Tim Fite, Hume @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Fixers, The Tony Castles, Young Heel @ Cameo Gallery
- Plants and Animals, This Is The Kit, Indians @ Littlefield - Why aren't Plants and Animals as big as Blitzen Trapper ??? hope to go to one of their two shows this week
- Ravens & Chimes, The Apache Relay @ Mercury Lounge (Early Show) - looking fwd to seeing locals Ravens and Chimes for the first time on the heels of their magnif Holiday LP....Nashville's Apache Relay have been the subject of chatter and i expect an easy win for them at the intimate Mercury gig.
- Kraftwerk (Tour de France) @ MoMa (Retrospective 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) - Won tix to this show last week...thank you KCRW...another reason to subscribe to the best radio station in the world ; afterparty to the closing night of their 8 night residency at MoMa at Bowery Hotel
- Volkswagen Presents School Night Kraftwerk 3D Afterparty feat. Nosaj Thing, Body Language, High Highs, Yeasayer (DJ Set) + Residents DJ Jason Eldredge (East Village Radio) and Chris Douridas (KCRW) @ Bowery Hotel (FREE w/RSVP)
- Modeselektor, Low Limit @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
- Trampled By Turtles, These United States @ Webster Hall
Wednesday / April 18th
- Modeselektor, Low Limit @ Bowery Ballroom
- Everest, Chamberlin @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Turbo Fruits, Dirty Ghosts, Habibi @ Cake Shop - Great lineup ; really like the production on the new album from Dirty Ghosts ; Habibi makes their return home after a nice SXSW run.
- Hunters, Sister Fucker, Buddy Bag, Generation @ Death By Audio - Hunters is the buzzed new punk project feat. production assistance from Nick Zinner (yeah yeah yeahs)
- Jenny Hval, Julia Holter, Julia Kent @ Issue Project Room (Unsound Festival Opening) - SOLD OUT
- Los Encantados, The Dunnie Bobos, Dead Rabbits @ Bar Matchless
- JD McPherson, Lucius @ Mercury Lounge (Early Show) - lovin local indie folk-pop doowop group Lucius..part of a nice double bill on consecutive nights with the fiercely certificate of authenticity of JD McPherson.
- Plants and Animals, This Is The Kit @ Mercury Lounge (Late Show)
- Bad Brains, GZA @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (SOLD OUT)
- Prince Rama (DJ Set), Sister Crayon, Psychobuildings, D. Gookin @ Pianos
- Eleanor Friedberger (The Fiery Furnaces), Hospitality @ Bell House
- Free Energy, Future of What (Formerly Blair), Indian Rebound @ The Rock Shop
Thursday / April 19th
- Lambchop, Charlie Horse @ Le Poisson Rouge (Early Show) - very high pitchfork praise on Lambchops latest effort.
- Questlove's Curated Shuffle Culture Festival feat. Questlove, Gray, Reggie Watts, Rahzel, Kenny Muhammad (The Human Orchestra), Deerhoof, Willis Earl Beal, and more! @ Brooklyn Academy of Music - if you've seen him dj, you know Questlove (The Roots) knows how to mix and match..from the looks of this curation, he'd be a pretty good booker as well.
- Oneohtrix Point Never, Body Language @ Brooklyn Museum (Audiophile - FREE with RSVP)
- Peaking Lights, LXMP (US Debut) @ Lincoln Center (David Rubenstein Atrium - Unsound Festival) - Peaking Lights release last year was on many people's best of lists ; great chance to see them for FREE at a great space.
- Turbo Fruits, Dirty Ghosts, Liquor Store, Easter Vomit @ Death by Audio
- Disappears, Lotus Plaza, Noveller @ Glasslands
- JD McPherson, Lucius @ Mercury Lounge (Late Show)
- Com Truise, Tobacco, Shine 2009, Selebrities, Beacon @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
- WIM, Fixers, Cultfever @ Pianos
- Tiny Victories (EP Release), Dinowalrus, NewVillager, North Highlands, The Forms, and many more @ Public Assembly - Great bill ; been meaning to check out North Highlands and The Forms.
- Hotel Lights, Emperor X @ Rockwood Music Hall - LA's Emperor X has a distinct calculated sound that reminds me of vocals of Why (Yoni Wolf)
- Caged Animals, Woodsman, Osekre & The Lucky Bastards, Universe @ Shea Stadium
- Cat Martino, Daltonians, Patrick Bower @ Union Hall
Friday / April 20th
- The Unsound Festival feat. Sun Araw, Pole, Innertube (feat. Mark McGuire of Emeralds and Spencer Clarke of Skaters) @ Le Poisson Rouge - Anything related to Mark McGuire is of interest..no not the steroid infused baseball player.
- Questlove's Curated Shuffle Culture Festival feat. Questlove, Gray, Reggie Watts, Rahzel, Kenny Muhammad (The Human Orchestra), Deerhoof, Willis Earl Beal, and more! @ Brooklyn Academy of Music
- Yeasayer (DJ Set), Twin Shadow (DJ Set), Suckers (DJ Set) @ Cameo Gallery (Late Show)
- Gary Wilson, The Immaculates, Moonmen On The Moon, Man, Slowdance (DJ Set) @ Glasslands (Early Show)
- The Permanent Festival feat. Bryce Dessner (The National), Jesse Stein (The Luyas), Mauro Remiddi (Porcelain Raft), etc. @ Littlefield - if their side projects sound anything like the bands they help comprise, this will be a good show.
- Fang Island, The Big Sleep @ Maxwell's (Early Show)
- Woods, Mmoss @ Maxwell's (late Show)
- Bosco Delrey, Terry Malts, X-Ray Eyeballs @ Mercury Lounge (early show) - At a time when the indie punk scene is gettting a little ubiquitous, Terry Malts defly impress and should sound sharp in a live setting.
- Mansions on the Moon, Fixers @ Mercury Lounge (late show)
- Bonobo (DJ Set), Nickodemus (DJ Set) @ Museum of Natural History (Rose Center for Earth & Space) - bonobo at a center for space?...sound amazing.
- Portugal. The Man, The Lonely Forest @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (SOLD OUT)
- Rodrigo y Gabriela, C.U.B.A. @ Radio City Music Hall
- Lambchop @ Bell House (Early Show)
- Chilly Gonzalez @ Bell House (Late Show) - Chilly Gonzalez is perhaps the most entertaining piano man of our time and producer of choice for feist ; defly recommend one of his two gigs in the city this week. His solo piano release from a few years back is a great listen while you work.
- Lucero, J. Roddy Walston and The Business @ Webster Hall (Early Show)
- Wolfgang Gartner @ Webster Hall
Saturday / April 21st
- Chilly Gonzalez (Piano Talk Show) @ Le Poisson Rouge
- Dent May @ 285 Kent Avenue (Early Show)
- Fatima Al Qadiri, Arca, Kuhrye-oo, Fur, CFCF (Nightbus), Gobby, Physical Therapy @ 285 Kent Avenue
- Secret Guest, Widowspeak, Black Marble, Family Portrait, Weird Magic (DJ set) @ 319 Scholes
- Discography feat. Mike Simonetti (Italians Do It Better) @ Cameo Gallery - Italians Do It Better label founder Mike Simonetti makes many a fine mixtape ; this should be a great opportunity to see him live.
- Terry Malts, The Suzan, Mainland @ Glasslands (Early Show)
- Let's Play House feat. Tiger & Woods, Justin Miller, Jacques Renault, Drew Heffron @ Glasslands (Late Show) - Just got hip to Tiger & woods...sounds like a delightful dance sesh..highly recommended.
- Mice Parade (acoustic) @ Little Field
- Robbers on High Street (Record Release Party), Diamond Doves @ Mercury Lounge (early show)
- Memoryhouse, Ex Cops, Matteah Baim @ Public Assembly
- Esperanza Spalding @ Webster Hall
- The Juan Maclean (DJ Set) @ Yotel (FREE w/RSVP)
Sunday / April 22nd
- Washed Out, Memoryhouse @ Highline Ballroom
- The Drums, Craft Spells, Part Time @ Webster Hall