Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Gerry Rafferty : 1947 - 2011


I was listening to Raul Campos' show while volunteering in the basement of KCRW this evening and i overheard that unmistakable sax solo from "Baker Street" being played on the air. I know the station prides themselves on their hand-selections, but I just had to ask Raul what would inspire him to feature the Scottish singer/songwriter Gerry Rafferty. On my way through the hall I heard my next favorite Rafferty classic, "Right Down the Line" played in the same set and I had a feeling the news was glum and he must have passed on. My intuition was confirmed and i felt a little let down. I haven't earned the right to be too heartbroken since i wouldn't call myself a huge fan of his entire body of work, but the two mentioned tracks happen to be two of my all-time favorites and i own the vinyl to which they appear (his finest record, City to City). Many would cite "Stuck in the Middle With You" as Gerry's top film placement in "Reservoir Dogs" (1992). I beg to differ, veering towards the use of "Baker Street" in the playground brawl in "Good Will Hunting" (1997). The song even seems more fitting now that i know it was derived from a feeling of being lost and alone in London.

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street









Gerry Rafferty - Right Down The Line





No comments:

Post a Comment