Monday / May 14th
- Joywave, Team Spirit, Young Midnight, Visuals @ Glasslands - Young Midnight is the solo moniker of Russell Manning, ex-Twin Shadow bassist ; he dj's the following night at Cameo Gallery. He just did a remix of Zambri's "Places". Visuals sound pretty nice aurally, especially "Remote Conntrol". Joywave is also at the head of the synth pop game and will play again the following night at Pianos.
- Olof Arnalds @ Rockwood Music Hall - acclaimed icelandic singer songwriter and touring member of Mum pays a visit to NY
Tuesday / May 15th
- The Maine with Lydia, The Arkells @ Santos Party House - Hamilton Ontario indie rockers, The Arkells have proved themselves in Canada, but are now starting to infect the US ; they've had plenty of practice live at Toronto's biggest venues and should put on a great show ; first of two consecutive stops at Santos. Singer Max Kerman reminds me a bit of Adam Duritz (Counting Crows) but they are much rockier and he has a great delivery of "yeah" in his songs.
- Beach House, Zomes, Hanna Olivegreen @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT) - Beach House releases highly anticipated Teen Dream (2010) followup, Bloom on the same day of this show. Listen to it first at NPR.
- Doe Paoro, Cat Martino, Shenandoah and the Night, Steel Phantoms, Young Midnight (DJ Set) @ Cameo Gallery - Want to keep tabs on Shenandoah and the Night who will release their self-titled debut EP the same day. For fans of Florence and the Machine.
- Hundred In The Hands, Erika Spring, Vorhees, Jacques Renault @ Glasslands - Hundred...sounds like Suzanne Vega with driving discolicious beats ; they will be playing music from their forthcoming album due out in June on Warp ; Jacques Renault is a classic NY DJ who i have never seen live unfortunately but i'm a huge fan of all of his production work. For Disco and house music lovas.
- Sea of Bees, The Loom @ Mercury Lounge - Sea of Bees is the beautiful musical project of Julie Anne Bee. For fans of Sharon Van Etten ; The Loom is a charming chamber folk rock group from BK. Great instrumentation and production.
- Bowmont, Night Panther, Joywave @ Pianos (FREE Show)
- Regina Spektor, Only Son @ United Palace Theater - Regina will be playing songs from her highly anticipated forthcoming release ; excited to see what i've heard live at what i've heard is a beautiful venue.
- James Morrison, Honeyhoney @ Webster Hall
Wednesday / May 16th
- The Barr Brothers, Kishi Bashi (Of Montreal) @ Le Poisson Rouge (EARLY SHOW) - Kishi
Bashi features lead violinist of Of Montreal, and former leadman of
Jupiter One ; heard they were one of the best things to hit Austin for
SXSW this year.
- Violens, Kuroma, The New Lines @ Le Poisson Rouge (LATE SHOW)
- The Gaslight Anthem, Tim Barry @ Music Hall of Williamsburg (SOLD OUT) -
- Ty Segall, White Fence, The Strange Boys, The Men @ Webster Hall
- The Maine, Lydia, The Arkells @ Santos Party House
Thursday / May 17th
- Kindness (NYC Debut), Tezeo, JDH and Dave P @ Le Poisson Rouge (Late Show) - You may have heard me espouse the early recordings of Tezeo and now i'll have a chance to see him live along with the NYC debut of Kindness, aka Adam Bainbdridge, whose LP is best heard on headphones while walking the BK bridge on a clear mid-Spring evening as I did last week...the video for "Cyan" contains Adam doing pretty much the same. For fans of Prince and 90's knewjack swing.
- Caveman, New Villager @ Brooklyn Museum (FREE w/RSVP) - great opportunity to see one of NYC's finest bands, Caveman put on one of my favorite live shows this year when they headlined bowery.
- VHS or BETA, Gambit, Electric Youth @ Bowery Ballroom - Listen to VHS or Beta's the recently released Diamonds and Dub (remixes of their album of last year) by the previously mentioned mixmaster Jacques Renault.
- Burning Hearts (Finland), Speedmarket Avenue (Sweden), Dear Marje (NYC), Heaven's Gate (NYC), Marshmallows (NYC) @ Cake Shop (NYC Popfest) - Really like the import of pop this week for the popfest.
- Dorian Concept, Archie Pelago, Datalog, Astrolith @ Glasslands - Archie Pelago sounds great ; Very intelligent electronic music with a great use of the horns. All the songs on his Chocolate Wavelengths release of last year sound lovely.
- Delicate Steve, People Get Ready, Sinkane (DJ set) @ Mercury Lounge - Delicate Steve is what Ratatat's 3rd and fourth album should have sounded like ; People Get Ready has some really good tunes. They're the kind of band i would expect to have a big breakthrough sophomore release.
- Ingrid Michaelson @ Terminal 5
- The Spinto Band, Sea of Bees, Horse's Mouth @ The Rock Shop
- Justin Townes Earle, Tristen @ Webster Hall
Friday / May 18th
- Father John Misty (J. Tillman of Fleet Foxes), Har Mar Superstar @ Mercury Lounge (SOLD OUT) - Wish i didn't sleep on buying tix to one of Father John Misty's two shows this week ; his debut release on sub pop is spectacular.
- Dent May @ 285 Kent Avenue
- Spank Rock (DJ Set), Zebra Katz, Import/Export @ American Museum of Natural History - Haven't heard from Spank Rock in a minute ; import/export's ambient rock sounds very intriguing, would love to hear more of their stuff.
- Electric Youth, Mike Simonetti @ Brooklyn Bowl
- Chrome Canyon, The Forms @ Cameo Gallery
- Big Troubles, Punks On Mars, The Hairs @ Glasslands
- Saturday Looks Good To Me, The Wild Moccasins, Cola Jet Set, Orca Team, Catnaps @ Knitting Factory BK (NYC Popfest)
- Seapony, Field Mouse @ Littlefield
- Jonathan Wilson, Jenny O @ Mercury Lounge - Jenny O is an emerging singer-songwriter from LA ; expecting big things from her debut full-length. She plays again the following night with Father John Misty.
- Kaiser Cartel @ Rockwood Music Hall
- Teengirl Fantasy (DJ), Dutch E Germ (Tim Young Ill aka Tim Dewitt), Awesome Tapes from Africa, Tezeo (DJ) @ Santos Party House (Spencer's GIFS) - The homecoming of acclaimed african music afficionado Brian Shimkovitz (of the blog Awesome Tapes From Africa) - He'll have a couple more DJ dates this week.
- Vacationer, Magic Wands, Body Language (DJ Set) @ Studio at Webster Hall - After such an impressive single with "Trip", have been a little underwhelmed by the rest of Vacationer.
Saturday / May 19th
- Awesome Tapes From Africa, Lamin Fofana and Chief Boima @ 285 Kent Avenue
- The Great GoogaMooga Festival feat. The Roots, Holy Ghost!, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens, Bear Hands, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Unchained (Van Halen Tribute), Fort Lean @ Prospect Park
- Mike Wexler, William Tyler (Silver Jews/Lambchop), Bonnie Montgomery @ Cake Shop
- Father John Misty (J. Tillman of Fleet Foxes), Har Mar Superstar, Jenny O @ Knitting Factory BK (SOLD OUT)
- La Sera, Life Size Maps, The New Lines @ Cameo Gallery - Although i wasn't a fan of their earlier material, La Sera has made a converter out of me with their solid album Sees the Light.
- Nick Waterhouse (& his Tarots) @ Mercury Lounge - Nick Waterhouse is the real deal and most authentic of the overcrowded neo-soul marketplace.
- The Twelves (Brazil), JDH & Dave P @ Le Poisson Rouge - The Twelves have over a dozen great remixes, they will be great live.
- Cantora Live Presents Classixx @ Brooklyn Bowl - One of my favorite production teams from LA.
- Maps & Atlases, Zechs Marquise, Sister Crayon @ Glasslands - Zechs Marquise has probably the finest album art of the year 2011. Sister Crayon is lovely live.
- The Strange Boys, The Babies @ Maxwells
- Damien Jurado, JBM @ Mercury Lounge (SOLD OUT) - Very impressed by JBM's newest release. His vocals remind me of Jim James of My Morning Jacket.
- Damien Jurado, JBM @ The Rock Shop (LATE SHOW)
- Milkman, XXXChange @ Music Hall of Williamsburg - Milkman is the stage alias of Electronic music producer Gregg Luskin from San Diego, CA ; had no idea about this dude until doing some research. material sounds pretty rad. For fans of Justice.
- Comet Gain, The Pooh Sticks, Seapony, The Electric Pop Group, Pushy Parents @ Public Assembly (NYC Popfest)
- Habibi, Pale Lights, Outerhope, Lisa Bouvier @ Spike Hill (NYC Popfest)
- Sea of Bees, Field Mouse, Leda, Jo Schornikow @ The Cuddle Cave
Sunday / May 20th
- The Great GoogaMooga Festival feat. Hall and Oates, Fitz and the Tantrums, Charles Bradley (and His Extraordinaires), Escort, Lez Zeppelin, Peelander Z, Lucius @ Prospect Park
- Awesome Tapes from Africa @ Lisa Cooley Gallery (7pm)
- Allo Darlin, Ladybug Transistor, The Wave Pictures, White Town, The Holiday Crowd, Dot Dash, Sleuth, Swearin' @ Littlefield (NYC Popfest) - Yes, this is the same white town that gave us the loveable 90's hit "Your Woman".
- Fred Armisen (does his 'Playlist') @ Union Pool
- 5/21 - Jack White, The Alabama Shakes @ Roseland Ballroom
- 5/22 - The Gossip @ Terminal 5
- 5/29 - Foster The People, The Kooks @ Central Park Summerstage (Rumsey Playfield)
- 5/30 - Foster The People, The Kooks @ Central Park Summerstage (Rumsey Playfield)
- 5/30 - Great Lake Swimmers, Cold Specks @ Bowery Ballroom
- 5/31 - Apparat @ Grammercy Theater
- 5/31 - Radiohead, Caribou @ Prudential Center
- 6/1 - Tune-Yards, Micachu and the Shapes, Delicate Steve @ Terminal 5
- 6/1 - Freelance Whales, Spanish Prisoners, Lucius @ Bowery Ballroom
- 6/1 - Radiohead, Caribou @ Prudential Center
- 6/4 - Emeli Sande @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- 6/5 - The Temper Trap @ Terminal 5
- 6/7 - Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Doldrums, Vinyl Williams @ Mercury Lounge
- 6/8 - Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Doldrums, Vinyl Williams @ Glasslands
- 6/11 - Foster The People, Tokyo Police Club @ Central Park Summerstage (Rumsey Playfield)
- 6/11 - 2:54, Widowspeak, The Denzels, Indian Rebound @ Mercury Lounge
- 6/13 - Ramona Falls, The Darcys, Dru Cutler @ Glasslands
- 6/13 - Michael Kiwanuka @ Highline Ballroom
- 6/14 - Ramona Falls, The Darcys @ Mercury Lounge
- 6/14 - Laura Marling @ Prospect Park Bandshell (FREE)
- 6/14 - Theresa Andersson, Lucius @ The Bell House
- 6/15 - The Felice Brothers, Husky @ Brooklyn Bowl
- 6/15 - Marissa Nadler, Faces on Film @ Union Hall
- 6/15 - Tinariwen, Piers Faccini @ Warsaw
- 6/16 - Dawes, Kurt Vile @ Central Park Summerstage (Rumsey Playfield)
- 6/16 - fun., Now, Now @ Terminal 5
- 6/17 - fun., Now, Now @ Terminal 5
- 6/17 - Starfucker, Yawn @ Warsaw
- 6/17 - Jeff the Brotherhood @ Bowery Ballroom
- 6/19 - The Tallest Man on Earth @ Town Hall
- 6/20 - Mon Khmer, Nouela, The Deer Tracks @ Pianos
- 6/20 - The Tallest Man on Earth @ Town Hall
- 6/22 - Los Campesinos!, Yellow Ostrich @ Le Poisson Rouge
- 6/22 - Jukebox The Ghost, Savoir Adore, Bright Moments @ Bowery Ballroom (SOLD OUT)
- 6/23 - The Magician (Stephen Fasano of Aeroplane), Plastic Plates, JDH & Dave P @ Le Poisson Rouge
- 6/23 - Bowerbirds, Basia Bulat @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
- 6/23 - Governor's Ball feat. Passion Pit, Duck Sauce, Chromeo, Special Disco Version, Atmosphere, Major Lazer, Santigold, Big Gigantic, Penguin Prison, Walk The Moon, Art Vs. Science, k.Flay, Nobody Beats The Drum @ Randall's Island
- 6/24 - Alabama Shakes, Diamond Rugs, Robert Ellis @ Central Park Summerstage (Rumsey Playfield)
- 6/24 - Governor's Ball feat. Fiona Apple, Beck, Modest Mouse, Explosions in the Sky, Devendra Banhart, Cage the Elephant, Built To Spill, Cults, Phantogram, Freelance Whales, Alberta Cross, The Jezabels, Turf War @ Randall's Island
- 6/29 - RAC, Jeffrey Jerusalem (of Yacht) @ Brooklyn Bowl
- 6/30 - RAC, Body Language @ Brooklyn Bowl