Thursday, December 25, 2008

DJ Scratch'n Sniff's Favorite Albums of the Year


The following is a list of my favorite 10 albums for this year. I didn’t listen to every album released this year, and I'm not saying that these albums bear some sort of historical impact on the world of music because they're on my list. Some I listened to more often than others. Some I just liked the better than others- Either way, here are my favorites from 2008 in no particular order:




The Last Shadow Puppets - The Age of the Understatement

This one brings a melancholy smile to my face. Took the unmistakable Arctic Monkeys sound and added arrangements reminiscent of classic 60’s britt pop.

Fav Tracks: Calm Like You, I Don’t Like You Anymore, The Chamber





The Ting Tings - We Started Nothing

Catchy, fast paced, playful. Very loud record for a 2 piece band. Definitely sat in my CD player longer than most records.

Fav Tracks: Shut up and Let Me Go, We Walk, Traffic Light







Does it Offend you Yeah? - You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into

Good for when I needed some heavy beats and 80’s influenced ballads.

Fav Tracks: We are Rockstars, Epic Last Song, Let’s Makeout







Los Campesinos! - Hold on Now, Youngster

Does the Arts and Crafts label ever disappoint? This record reminded me that Indie rock doesn’t have to take itself so seriously all the time.

Fav Tracks: Death to Los Campesinos!, Don’t Tell me to Do the Math(s), You!, Me!, Dancing!





Little Joy - Little Joy

Blends classic Strokes sound with Brazilian folk rhythms provided by Los Hermanos guitarist Rodrigo Amarante. Appealed greatly to my lounge and world music sensibilities.

Fav Tracks: Brand New Start, With Strangers, No One’s Better Sake





Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

Ahhh…Ok…I get it! Listened to this record 3 times straight on a road trip. This one finally made a believer out of me.

Fav tracks: Crawl, Sex on Fire, Manhattan, Closer, Use Somebody





Hot Chip - Made in the Dark

Mesmerized me with electro beats and haunting ballads like Whistle for Will and the title track, Made in the Dark. This is an album that definitely got me Ready for the Floor.

Fav Tracks: One Pure Thought, Shake a Fist, Hold On, Wrestlers





Bajofondo Tango Club – Mardulce

Gustavo Santaolalla proves his musical genious once again on collaborations with Elvis Costello, Gustavo Cerati, and Julieta Venegas.

Fav Tracks: Gran Guignol, Ya No Duele, Pa’ Bailar (Siempre Quiero Mas)





Vampire Weekend - Vampire Weekend

Made me long for my days as a wide eye coed and inspired me to dust off that old cardigan. Yacht Rock soothes the savage beast.

Fav Tracks: Walcott, M79, Oxford Comma, The Kid’s Don’t Stand a Chance






MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

The perfect soundtrack to a year that seemed an endless psychadelic trip. Wouldn’t have made it out alive without this album. You can hear so many musical influences in this record and they are executed masterfully. Wow-e-wow wow!

Fav Tracks: Solid from Start to Finish!





Honorable Mentions:

Born Ruffians – Red, Yellow, and Blue


Delta Spirit – Ode to Sunshine


Crystal Castles – Crystal Castles


Black Kids – Party Traumatic


Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes


No comments:

Post a Comment