Saturday, January 24, 2009

Found in New York: Semi Precious Weapons, Liam and Me, and Outernational

Hey there Foundtrack-ers! Meijin here, bringing you some exciting New York rock ‘n’ roll updates. Finishing off 2008 with a bang, I made my way to the Big Apple for a week to follow up on a couple fantastic acts I was privileged to experience at October’s CMJ Music Marathon.


Before heading east, I had organized a phone interview with Semi Precious Weapons through their label Razor and Tie. Right on schedule, Justin Tranter, lead vocalist of SPW, telephoned from Brooklyn during his peanut butter and jelly sandwich lunch to talk band and beyond. Later that day, Justin went out of his way to send my questions to his band mates, and armed with this inside info, I formulated “20 Semi Precious Questions: An Interview with Semi Precious Weapons,” which is featured in All Access Magazine. SPW will be in town March 10th at Bar Pink, San Diego and March 11th at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood. And for one more Semi Precious Weapons treasure, download a remix of “Magnetic Baby” by their fellow “Hell on Heels” tour company, Von Iva! (See photo on left : Justin Tranter of Semi Precious Weapons ; Photo Credits Todd Owyoung)



A few days after the interview, I partied with the Brooklyn boys at “Playhouse” at Cain Luxe, and was informed about a “secret” show they were playing at Trash!, a weekly party in Webster Hall’s downstairs space. I arrived before midnight (early by New York standards) just in time to catch me a new find, Philly-based Liam and Me. LAM’s leading man Matt O’Dowd took my business card seriously and promptly followed up on sending me “Pretender,” and their single “Say It Out Loud.” Shouting along with Semi Precious Weapons’ 2 a.m. set, dancing ‘til daylight, and discovering my new favorite Eastern export made for a memorable evening. Please read up on Liam and Me and download their single on iTunes! ( See photo; Liam and Me; Photo Credits: Shawn Corrigan)


For the finale of my NYC stint, I maneuvered my way to Brooklyn for my first time in single-digit wind chills to claim my list-spot for Outernational’s show at The Music Hall of Williamsburg with the legendary Slackers. Outernational's performance and warm welcome kept winter off my mind, and their guitarist, Leo Mintek, finalized our plan for a sit down interview the next day. Take some time out and enjoy this exclusive interview with Outernational before they come out west for Warped Tour 2009. (See photo left; Outernational)

No comments:

Post a Comment